Have you colored today?

Have you colored today?
Have you colored today?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tonight's dinner... Rotisserie chicken in the dutch oven




Dinner tonight was an easy one - but thought I'd share since it's SO DARN GOOD!

I made chicken in my dutch oven... sorry for the slit down the center - I started to cut it and decided I should really take a picture of it in the dutch oven too!

I found this recipe online somewhere a while back - I got the most awesome dutch oven for Christmas from my in-laws and LOVE it! This chicken comes out just perfect! We've made it several times and it's always a huge hit around here. I have never tried cooking it in a roasting pan, I am sure it would work though - or in one of the oven roasting bags too since both are mentioned in the recipe...

You will need:
1/4 c Oil
1 tb Honey
1 tb Lime juice
1/4 ts Paprika
Season salt
3 1/2 lb Whole chicken
Onion chunks
Unpeeled apple wedges
1 Chunks celery

Preheat your oven to 350~

Fill the cavity with apple, onions and celery. Place it in a Pam-sprayed Dutch oven or a roasting pan deep enough that it can later be sealed in foil without the foil touching the skin of the chicken.

Place first 5 ingredients in a sauce pan and heat until the honey is melted and fully incorporated.
Pour this mixture over the chicken. I tend to add in any onion wedges, apple wedges, celery and even some carrot pieces around the chicken that you may have left from what does not fit in the cavity.

Cook for about an hour plus 15 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the chicken (you should reach an internal temp of 180). Be sure it is nicely browned. Or use Reynold's Oven Bags per directions that accompany the bags. (if using a roasting pan - when you remove it from the oven, seal the roasting pan tightly in foil and let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes before serving).

The recipe also says you can:
Arrange 4 chicken breast halves, skin-side-up in a square baking dish or pan, sprayed with Pam. Bake uncovered at 400~ about 35 to 40 minutes, basting chicken without turning them, 3 or 4 times during baking or until nicely browned. Immediately upon removing from oven, seal baking dish tightly in foil and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.


I hope you like this one as much as we do! Here is a picture of the kids plates for dinner tonight too ...


No comments:

Post a Comment